Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wyatt is 6 months old!


 Wyatt is currently six months old!



And it has been three months since his diagnosis. This doesn't even seem possible to me, but alas, it is true. My little masto baby has had some ups and downs this month (like always) but he is still my bright eyed adventurous little boy! As you can see from the carrot jammed in his mouth teething is in  full swing. He is currently cutting both lower teeth. This has caused him some great stress (as it does any human being) but with great stress comes angry masto spots. So when his teeth seem to be bothering him we give both tylenol and benadrly. This process seems to be working well for us. I don't like giving him so much medication at such a young age, but there really isn't much else we can do. 




Wyatt's daily medications currently include Zyrtec in the morning and Zantac in the morning and evening. They are both antihistamines but they work in different ways. Zyrtec helps with the more external allergy symptoms like congestion, watery eyes, hives, etc. While Zantac helps with internal allergy symptoms like an upset stomach. And I have to say I have seen a great improvement in Wy with this medication regimen. He has about half as less reactions during the week than he used to. So finally some relief for my little one!

We have officially started Wyatt's immunizations back up. We are doing one vaccine a week, with no combination vaccines. We also use an alcohol free organic baby wipe instead of an alcohol wipe (because alcohol can be a huge trigger) and no band aides (because most band aides agitate his skin). So far things have been going well. He has only had normal reactions to the vaccines, so hopefully if we keep up this method everything will be OK. It certainly isn't the fastest or easiest way to immunize a child, but it's our best option at the moment for our masto baby.
As a parent of a child with a rare disorder, it can be tough not to have someone who knows exactly what I am going through. As far as I can tell, there are no other parents in the area with a masto child. I worry about Wyatt and his future, he will have to face more pain, more medication, more public ridicule than most. But I only can hope that this will make him into a strong, confidant man that will help others in every way that he can. I hope that this blog provides information on such a rare disorder to help educate my family, friends, fellow masto parents and the public. I aspire to raising donation funds in the future for further research on this mysterious disorder and possibly even a cure! But fund raising takes a lot of time that I just don't have right now. But I will make it happen one day!

If you are interested in making a donation please visit tmsforacure.org/donate

No comments:

Post a Comment